My initial impression of Return of Saturn was that it was good but a little too depressing. I listened to this one next to the more electronic Rock Steady and found Return of Saturn was the weaker CD.
However, after a few listens I find that Return of Saturn is more rock oriented with steady rhythms and slightly more captivating hooks than the aforementioned Rock Steady. I always liked Simple Kind of Life, Bathwater, Staring Problem, Ex-Girlfriend, and Dark Blue. However some of the other tracks such as Comforting Lie, Too Late, Marry Me, and Suspension Without Suspense seemed to buzz around in my head. I am looking through the song titles and maybe one or two tracks seem even a little forgettable at this juncture in the listening process.
Since many of the songs reflect on breakups, I realize that depression often settles in. Sometimes I would rather listen to more hopeful lyrics in my music. But I can certainly appreciate the creativity that artists experience when they go through traumatic and heartfelt experiences. Fleetwood Mac's Rumours was a grammy award winning recording because of this. And No Doubt's Return of Saturn certainly rates strongly in this area as well.
I am a huge No Doubt fan--so don't expect this review to be completely unbiased-- and while I love ska and ND's earlier stuff, Return of Saturn is, hands-down, my fave No Doubt CD. Gwen's writing is amazing, and she pours her feelings into every song.
Ex-Girlfriend - 5/5. A great opening song with cool music.
Simple Kind of Life - 5/5. Wow, this song is so gorgeous. A fabulously-written song.
Bathwater - 5/5. One of my favorites, with an awesome beat and creative lyrics.
Six Feet Under - 4/5. I really like this song, but the lyrics are a bit odd.
Magic's in the Makeup - 5/5. Love the lyrics to this song, so truthful.
Artificial Sweetener - 5/5. Another one of my favorite. I love the lyrics and the music, and Gwen's voice sounds great.
Marry Me - 2/5. In my opinion, the weakest song on the album. I don't know why, I just don't like it too much.
New - 5/5. This is my favorite song on the album. I love the music, and the way it alternates between and slow/fast beat.
Too Late - 3/5. A pretty song, but not one of my faves.
Comforting Lie - 5/5. Awesome lyrics, great beat.
Supension Without Suspense - 4/5. Slow song, but nice lyrics.
Staring Problem - 4/5. Not the best song on the album, but it's still pretty good.
Home Now - 4/5. An overall good song.
Dark Blue - 5/5. This song is so depressing and beautiful that it makes me want to cry, but I still love it.
Overall, this is an amazing CD, a must-have for any No Doubt fan. If you like ska, though, check out their self-titled debut and Tragic Kingdom. Or, rock/pop tickles your fancy, listen to Rock Steady or Gwen's solo stuff, which is nice but lacking the great lyrics and music she made with No Doubt.
0694-accented-two-tone-watch 0718-angel-gold-plated-white-watch 0726-angel-diamond-ceramic-watch 0734-angel-collection-white-watch 0851-force-black-polyurethane-watch 0874-force-collection-black-watch 10006a-bb-01-rb-watch 1010-ii-collection-chronograph-watch 10114-02-org-watch 102aa-33152-chic-rectangle-watch 1053801bbscubadorblackleatherwatch 109416bkbk-watch 109663mpwt-bracelet-watch 1108-corduba-dial-black-leather-watch 1112cordubablackdialblackleatherwatch 1710258-classic-tank-bracelet-watch 1710260-black-tank-watch 1780819-red-leather-strap-watch 1781052-sport-mother-watch 1781072-sport-textured-whitedialwatch 1790735-sport-black-dial-black-watch 2963-pro-diver-collection-watch 3330-force-collection-lefty-watch 4338-russian-diver-black-watch 6900-classic-watch 6934speedwaychronographblackwatch
No comments:
Post a Comment